Bangalore, December 09, 2022: It was a great day of joy and exitement for the parishioners of Sacred Heart Church in Tiptur as their parish marked the beginning of the 75th year of its establishment. They along with the Parish Priest fondly recollected the saccharine reminiscences of the glorious past.
Most Rev. Dr. Bernard Moras, Archbishop Emeritus of Bangalore, along with a number of priests, presided over the solemn Holy Eucharist and flagged off the Platinum Jubilee Year.
Speaking in his homily, the prelate congratulated the congregation on their auspicious day and he urged them to pray more fervently for the realisation of their long-standing dream of a new church. Archbishop Emeritus also lauded the missionary service and sacrifice of priests who worked for the spiritual and material welfare of the parish.
Later, Archbishop Emeritus was felicitated by the parish priest and the members of the PPC.
Brief History of the Parish
Sacred Heart Church in Tiptur was established as a mission station by His Grace Most Rev. Dr. Thomas Pothacamury, the then Archbishop of Bangalore in 1948. Since its inception, until 2008, a number of Archdiocesean priests have toiled as missionaries for the growth of the church.
In 2008, Most Rev. Dr. Bernard Moras, the then Archbishop of Bangalore entrusted the Parish and its substations for the care of priests of the Society of Catholic Apostolate, a religious congregation popularly known as Pallottines.
Rev. Fr. Benedict Monteiro, SAC was appointed as the first Pallottine parish priest. He had to travel to and fro from Tiptur to Sannenahalli, Ammasandra, and Turuvekere to celebrate mass and administer sacraments.
Later, St. Joseph's Church, Sannenahalli was entrusted to the Pallottines and Sacred Heart Church, Tiptur was transferred to Betharram Fathers who have been tirelessly working for the wellbeing of the Church to this day.
The present Parish Priest Rev. Fr. Jesuraj, SCJ, is leaving no stone unturned in his efforts to build the new church.